HOME     BOOKS     EVENTS     PRESS     FREEBIES     SHOP     ANGELA

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Authorly Adventures #TeenReadWeek #WritersLife #WriterWednesday



My typical morning consists of tickling my kiddo awake and getting him ready for school, after which I usually enjoy a cup of coffee and a few hours in my office. Once my minion returns home, I spend the rest of the day hanging out with my family, maybe a little light housework and reading to round out the evening. It’s a pretty laid back life around here, for the most part.

Yesterday was not a typical day. By some strange magic, I managed to line up a slew of activities in an itinerary that required copious amounts of coffee. It started with waking up at 5:30am. I’m so not a morning person. In fact, although I help get our kiddo ready for school, my husband does the actual drop-off and pick-up routine. I head to my home office in my PJs 99% of the time. No joke.


After drinking 2 cups of coffee and prying my eyes open, I drove an hour and a half to Sedalia, where I first stopped at my mechanic’s shop to have a weird dash warning message investigated. My car is nearing 100k miles from all the convention road-tripping, and it has started to complain over the past few months. After the faulty part was diagnosed, I headed over to Boonslick Library around 8:30am, where the Sedalia Area Literacy Council has their monthly meetings. 

The SALC is an awesome organization that I’m proud to be a member of. Even after relocating to Lake of the Ozarks, I still participate in the monthly meetings and help put together the annual tea and auction we do every April. The event is tons of fun, and it raises money for literacy programs in the Sedalia area. You can check out more about us and see pictures from past tea auctions on our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/SedaliaAreaLiteracyCouncil

So after the meeting, I dropped off a few boxes of donations at Open Door, just down the street from the library, and then I grabbed another cup of coffee and drove an hour and a half to Kansas City to have lunch with a friend I hadn’t seen in forever.We had burgers and apple pie in a little cafĂ© and talked about the strange wonderfulness of life. I don’t mingle comfortably with a ton of people. I *think* I pass for relatively normal most of the time, but it often feels like I’m holding my breath as I over-analyze everything I do and say. Being normal is haaard. It’s nice to have a few friends I don’t have to use my filter around, and I always part with them feeling rejuvenated.

After lunch, it was an hour and a half back to Sedalia, where I stopped by Reader’s World to drop off a few signed copies of Death Wish, the new Lana book that came out earlier this month. Woot! Then I headed back to Boonslick Library, where the teens who participated in the writing workshop I did last July were having a signing for the collection of their short stories I edited. 


It was so great to see how many friends and family showed up to support these amazing teens. Thanks to everyone who stopped by! If you missed the signing, you can still grab a copy at the front desk for $5, and it all goes to the library for future programs. The library’s reading programs are so awesome, and I’m really excited to return next summer and organize another teen writing workshop! Here is an article from the Sedalia Democrat about the signing and Teen Read Week: http://sedaliademocrat.com/news/5166/teen-authors-help-celebrate-teen-read-week

After leaving the library around 5:30pm, I grabbed another coffee, drove by our old house, and headed home to the lake. The hour and a half road trip (the fourth of the day) seemed to take a million years… okay, more like 2 hours. The earlier sunsets and restless deer make for a slow, white-knuckled drive. But I made it home around 7:30pm, kissed my husband and kiddo, and changed back into my PJs—all in time to watch Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.


I’m back to business as usual today, sitting at my desk in my PJs. I’m glad to have this chance to catch my breath, because tomorrow launches a 5-day sprint of non-typical activity. We’re heading to Denver for MileHiCon!!! If you’re attending, come see me on Authors Row! Otherwise, I'll catch up with you next week... in my PJs.

xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Angela #1 You did do all the things! I recorded Marvel for tonight's viewing pleasure. Wish Denver was closer, having fun and safe driving. We have those sneaky deer up here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made it back in one piece. Woot! And I can hardly believe it, but we didn't see a single one of those sneaky deer. Thank goodness! lol : )

      Delete
  2. My kind of day! Love it! I'm two SHIELD episodes behind. Must catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need stronger coffee. lol Also, our DVR is evil and didn't record yesterday's episode, so now we're waiting for it to pop up on demand. Le sigh. Hoping to catch up tomorrow. : )

      Delete
  3. And you talked to your awesome mom on the phone about your awesome son!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Comment below! : )