HOME     BOOKS     EVENTS     PRESS     FREEBIES     SHOP     ANGELA

Friday, March 20, 2015

Upcoming Events and Secret Handshakes



“The time has come!” the walrus said. “To speak of many things…”

I feel like a circus clown juggling chainsaws right now. I’ve come to the realization that I’m not very good at saying NO. But I’m getting better at it. I’ve also come to the realization that I am not a super hero, and that’s okay. I actually do need more than 5 hours of sleep at night. Using Redbull in place of water when brewing coffee will only work for so long, and if I don’t want to burn out or have a nervous breakdown, something’s gotta give. 



I know how many hours are in a day, and I know where I need to be directing them. I’ve already taken a big step by putting in my notice with my day job. That was hard. Really hard. I like my boss, and he’s asked me a few times now if I’d consider staying. But like I said, I’m getting better at saying NO. I did, however, give 3 months’ notice (I think I mentioned this in my last post). I just finished designing my second to last real estate guide book. And after next month, I’ll be a full-time writer. I’m hoping this will reduce my stress levels by about 25%. And just maybe, this weird eyeball thing I’ve had going on for the past few weeks (like sleepy pins and needles in my eye socket, when I’m in front of my computer for too long) will go away. I’m also looking forward to more sleep, and a faster computer, since I’ll be clearing out a bunch of ginormous graphics files.

With this month’s guide done and off to the press, I scoured over my author email account and noticed an update from my newsletter service, telling me that a hundred new subscribers have signed up since my last newsletter. Ruh-roh. Looks like I’ll be working on that next. I have a lot of news to share—upcoming events, books that friends have recently released, and other exciting things…

With spring comes convention season, and I’m diving in this year! Here are just a few things I have planned in the coming months:

NEXT FRIDAY, March 27, from 4pm-6pm @ Reader’s World in Sedalia, I’ll be signing books and visiting with readers, along with Madge Gressley and Paul Ross. You can find out more on the Facebook event page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/629253317206789/

FRI-SUN, April 24-26, I’ll have a table at the Writer’s Corner of the Trail’s End Heritage Days event at the Missouri State Fairgrounds. Check out their website for more details on this huge event: http://www.thetrailsend.org/

FRIDAY, May 15, @ 2pm, I’ll be at Club RT at the RT Booklovers Convention in Dallas, TX. Kory Shrum and I are going to try to nab a table together, so you can visit us both and check out the new anthology we co-edited. We’ll be giving away a few copies! Find out more on the convention website: https://rtconvention.com/

SATURDAY, May 16, 11am-2pm, Giant Book Fair at the RT Booklovers Convention in Dallas, TX. There will be hundreds (like, around 800) authors signing at the fair. It’s amazing! I’ll have copies of my new book, Blood Moon, and copies of my first book, Graveyard Shift, available. Again, more info is available at the convention website here: https://rtconvention.com/

There’s also a vineyard reading in Knob Noster, MO in June, but I don’t have all of the details yet. More on that to come!

In other exciting news, I am now a member of HWA, the Horror Writers Association, and SFWA, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. As an indie author, without a publishing house family, these kinds of connections are usually difficult to forge. We indie authors have to do more research, without an agent or publicist to point us in the right direction, and many of the more prestigious organizations have not been open to us, until now. I’m very thrilled to be a part of these two groups. I admire many of their author members, and I’m looking forward to attending their events and learning secret handshakes! : )



Another group I’m proud to be a part of is my critique group, the Four Horsemen of the Bookocalypse. We’re coming up on our 1 year anniversary! Kory Shrum, Kathrine Pendleton, and Monica La Porta, you ladies are amazing! Your work is inspiring, and your critiques make all the difference in the world to me. I hope we have many more fantastic years together ahead of us!

I’ve also been connecting with some local authors lately. Madge Gressley, who invited me to the Trail’s End event, met up with me for breakfast a few weeks ago. I’ve started reading her Inescapable series. It’s an interesting sci-fi, thriller, romance mashup that looks like a lot of fun! In that same week, Lisa Medley stopped on her way through Sedalia to have lunch with me. I met Lisa at the RT convention in New Orleans last year. She writes reapers too! If you follow my blog, you’ve probably heard me gushing about her a few other times, in interviews and blog hops.

So that’s what’s what on the author front. There are also some exciting things happening in my personal life, that have been upping my stress levels, but I’m hoping those will be resolved soon too. I can’t wait to share that news with everyone, but it will have to wait until everything is finalized. : )

Wishing you all rainbows and unicorns!



xoxo

-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Comment below! : )