HOME     BOOKS     EVENTS     PRESS     FREEBIES     SHOP     ANGELA

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

New Series by Monica La Porta: The Immortals

One of my favorite things about being a writer is making friends with other writers... because then I get to read their new releases before everyone else! Yay!!! Seriously though, writers are readers first, so this is a definite squee for me. ♥

I've know Monica La Porta for a little over a year now. We "met" when YA author Clare Davidson invited us both to participate in a big online giveaway. Then Jason Graves, another author in the giveaway, invited us to submit stories for an anthology, OFF THE BEATEN PATH. Monica and I have followed and reviewed each others books for a while now, and I recently recruited her for my online critique group and for a plot panel at the RT Booklovers Convention in Dallas next year! (Yay!!!!)

While I'm a big fan of Monica's Ginecean Chronicles, I was really excited when I found out she was starting a new series, and even more excited when I learned that she was dipping into mythology! There are vampires in there too.... but I'm definitely Team Immortals. The Lost Centurion is the first installment of The Immortals. I can't show you the cover yet, since Monica will be revealing that on Thursday. But I can show you this billboard teaser....



Marcus has sworn to avenge his wife's death—even if it takes an eternity to hunt down the vampire who murdered her. Once a Roman Centurion, Marcus is now immortal and, for the past two thousand years, impervious to human emotions. Until the night he rescues Diana…

Diana knew nothing of the paranormal world until her transformation into a vampling, a newborn vampire entirely reliant for survival upon the distant and seemingly emotionless Centurion, who found her in the throes of changing. Her protector turned her without her consent, but at his untimely death, she becomes the cold immortal’s responsibility.

The entire vampire community is determined to kill Marcus as he protects one of their own. While Marcus and Diana travel the Italian countryside, being chased by their enemies, Marcus must choose between avenging his dead wife or saving Diana from the same vampire who ruined his life. Bewitched by the Amalfi moon, he soon discovers his heart has already decided for him.

My review: I really enjoyed how this was a novel with vampires... but not really about vampires. I'm definitely more drawn to the Roman history of the Immortals. The colorful look at Italy was fun too, and though I thought the plot would be predictable at the beginning, I was delighted when it shifted gears and went off in a direction I would have never guessed. Paranormal romance and suspense done fresh and done right.


Monica La Porta is an Italian who landed in Seattle several years ago. Despite popular feelings about the Northwest weather, she finds the mist and the rain the perfect conditions to write. Being a strong advocate of universal acceptance and against violence in any form and shape, she is also glad to have landed precisely in Washington State. 

She is the author of The Ginecean Chronicles, a dystopian/science fiction series set on the planet Ginecea where women rule over a race of enslaved men and heterosexual love is considered a sin. She has published the first four books in the series, The Priest, Pax in the Land of Women, Prince at War, and Marie's Journey. 

She just released two new NA paranormal romances, Gaia, and Elios. She also wrote and illustrated a children's book about the power of imagination, The Prince's Day Out. Her published short, Linda of the Night, is a fairytale love story celebrating inner beauty. She has a new series, The Immortals, coming out soon, a paranormal saga set in Rome. Stop by her blog to read about her miniatures, sculptures, paintings, and her beloved beagle, Nero. Sometimes, she also posts about her writing.

Find Monica all across the interwebs...


Be sure to check out Monica's blog on Thursday for the big cover reveal! 

 

4 comments:

  1. Monica's an amazing author, so imaginative. I was lucky enough to have an advance reading copy of "The Lost Centurion", and so far, I'm loving it - beautiful prose as always, so descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her pretty prose too! I've never been to Rome, but I think I'd like to go now. : )

      Delete
  2. This looks really interesting. I am really liking the Roman centurion aspect. I will definitely keep an eye out for this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of little flashbacks to the days of ancient Rome and glimpses of the Roman army. Such a unique book! : )

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think! Comment below! : )