HOME     BOOKS     EVENTS     PRESS     FREEBIES     SHOP     ANGELA

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Best. Weekend. Ever.

Made it back from the RT Booklovers Convention last night! It was everything I had hoped it would be too. : ) I met some incredible people. There were a few authors I was looking forward to meeting, like Lisa Kessler (squeee!), and a few newer authors that I'm excited to start reading. I also met librarians, booksellers, cover artists, agents, editors, a publicist, and lots of awesome readers!

My most embarrassing moment wasn't nearly as bad as I had envisioned it would be. I thought that my skirt might get caught in the escalator. I would shout out a Star Wars style, "Noooooo!" Then, after tumbling down a flight of stairs in a ball of bared cheeks and elbows, I would fall flat on my face. I'd then have to cut my hair, dye it black, and change my name.

Instead, while I was eying the escalators suspiciously, one of the agents I was excited to meet rose up the stairs. I pointed at him, and very elegantly said, "You're... you're..." Luckily, he handled my stellar introduction very cooly and told me to come by his table at the pitch session and talk to him. So I did. And he requested my work. And I'm still giggling maniacally over it. Woot!

Since I attended the convention by myself for the most part, I had to rediscover my social skills. I totally invited myself to join other convention goers at the bar, multiple times. There was one group that consisted of a writer, assistant, and cover photographer. They were a lovely, fun bunch! I collected business cards and book marks, and I'm adding everyone I can find on Twitter and Facebook.

Later Friday night, my sexy man beast joined me to attend the Heather Graham Freaky Friday Dinner and Dance Party! We paid far too much for drinks, but I became buzzed enough to sing along to Brittany Spears. Hey, I might have been a punk rocker in high school, but who doesn't know all the words to "Hit Me Baby, One More Time"? 

The panels Friday and Saturday were incredibly fun and informative. I took meticulous notes, even though my hands were a little shaky from being in the same room with so many best sellers. Kelley Armstrong was moderating a YA panel with Leigh Bardugo, Gayle Forman, Colleen Houck, Richelle Mead, and Margaret Stohl. At one point, Kelley was standing in the aisle, two feet away from me, and I had to remind myself that it was not socially acceptable to reach out and touch her. I LOVE her books.

Shannon Butcher (Jim Butcher's wife!) was there, as well as E.L. James (50 Shades of Grey). Totally starstruck by fifty zillion people! Also, TONS of FREE books!!! OMG. I hardly knew what to do with myself. I kept asking, "Seriously? These are free?!?" So, my arms feel like they might fall off. I bet you didn't know that book conventions also double as endurance workouts, did you?

Well, I'm off to polish up some words to send out. Wish me luck! Cross your fingers, toes, and eyes! I'll be back soon to announce the winners of the blog tour giveaway that finished up last week. Yippeeeeee!

♥♥♥ 

Me with Lisa Kessler!

 
FREE BOOKS!!! Nerdgasm!

 Me and my man beast, all ready to Par-tay!


P.S. While the convention was fantastic, the one bummer I did experience was that my book series trailer didn't make it on the hotel convention channel. : (  So I'm posting it here again for your enjoyment. 

 

4 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOOOOOO so jealous..Does this mean your going to have to build another bookshelf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would, but I don't have room for another one in my office. I'll just have to do some rearranging. lol Maybe I can clear out a few books that aren't signed copies and order them for my Kindle instead. :)

      Delete
  2. It was SO fun to finally meet up in person Angela!!! :)

    I'm glad you had a super time at RT... Hope to see you there next year too! It'll be in New Orleans!!! FUN!!!

    *HUGS*

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoyed meeting you in person too!!! And I am so looking forward to RT14 in New Orleans!!! Lots of *HUGS* right back at ya! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think! Comment below! : )